Most sailors dream of just such a boat...a boat like the Northern Bay 38. We have been tasked with selling a dream project for a family who's interests have evolved in a direction that unfortunately precludes enjoying this boat.
Down East Boatworks built the Northern Bay hull in Maine in mid 2008 and she was shipped to Nova Scotia for finishing.
Over the past 20 months the systems have been installed and the finish work would make any Maine builder proud. She is built and equipped to rival the Wilburs, the Campbells, the Bar Harbors and similar Lobsteryachts.
She is designed to be a one couple, fast cruising Lobsteryacht; cruise all day at 8knots or go home fast with WOT speeds approaching 30knots.
Her interior layout includes an island queen forward, a large head w/separate shower stall and a wraparound galley for use underway. On the helm deck, her layout is set up to allow her guests to view the scenery underway with raised dinettee and double mates seat. The interior finish includes mahogany doors and trim; white V panelling, teak & holly soles and blue/tan fabrics.
Her equipment list is extensive and includes:
- Solid Glass Hull w/Two Layers of Vinylester
- Balsa Cored Deck and Cabin, Edge Filled and Glassed to Hull for "Monocoque" Construction
- Nida Core Stringers and Bulkheads to Minimize Weight
- Volvo D9 500hp Inboard Diesel w/Twin Disc Transmission
- Evolution 2.25" Shaft, Twin Racors, Underwater Exhaust
- Lewmar Bow Thruster
- 300 Gallon Water Capacity w/Spectra Watermaker
- Onan 5Kw Generator
- 2000 Watt Invertor, 6AGM 8D Batteries
- LED Lighting Throughout
- Complete Galley w/Princess Electric Stove/Oven, Isotherm Fridge, Microwave
- Stainless Steel Opening Ports & Hatches
- Head includes Vacuflush toilet
- Diesel Cabin Heater
The boat is approximately two months from launch and there is still time to customize the helm deck area and cockpit. For example, a fighting chair would fit well on the back deck. Teak cockpit sole or non skid? You can choose.
As she stands today, her build hours exceed 5,000 man hours. With an appropriate electronics, comparable builds finished to this level of craftsmanship would price out at over $700,000. Her buyer will enjoy savings of @$200,000 and avoid the normal two year wait.
Private viewings, by appointment available.
Current "in build" photos to follow.