Yikes - Christmas is almost here and you haven't got a holiday gift for that special angler in your family? No problem, folks, we fish-heads are easy to shop for. Here are a few last-minute gift ideas that are sure to go over well.
1. Gage Nightwatch Puffy Jacket - Made by the famous supplier of commercial fishermen's protective gear, Grundens, the Gage nightwatch Puffy Jacket is a light-weight quilted nylon jacket that can be used as an inner layer under foul-weather gear, or as a wind-cutting outer layer. Considering how light and thin the Nightwatch is it's amazingly warm, and it has a heavy-duty full-length zipper, adjustable drawcord hem, elasticized cuffs to seal out cold and wind, and two large zippered hand-warmer pockets. The Nightwatch makes a great last-minute gift for that angler who thinks it's never too cold to go fishing. Check it out at Grundens.
2. S & S Rattletail Bucktails - Bucktails are one of the world's most versatile lures - and they're also one of the world's oldest. What could be new about a bucktail? S & S makes one called the Rattletail, which has a rattle chamber where the hook shank meets the head. Yeah, rattling bucktails have been made before, but shake one of these in your hand and you'll hear that these make a lot more noise than what we're used to. Plus, the lures look great, many of the models glow in the dark, and they're hand-tied in the USA. A box of these sitting under the tree will get any angler stoked - visit S & S Bucktails, to find out more.
3. Unburn Gel - I mentioned this stuff in a blog last year on finding the best sunburn solution, but it merits more attention now because anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors would appreciate finding it in their stocking. Unburn is a post-sunburn pain killer with lidocaine, and the surprising thing is that it has a long-term affect, unlike regular old aloe. Satisfy your burning desire to learn more about it, at the Unburn website.
4. ECOXGEAR ECOXBT - Just about everyone has a Bluetooth-enabled device onboard these days, and just about everyone enjoys playing tunes now and again. But many boats have sub-par stereos or no form of music at all. Enter, ECOXGEAR, with their ECOXBT. This little speaker system grabs those Bluetooth waves out of the air and turns them into tunes. Yes, there are plenty of devices like this around, but the ECOXBT is special to us because it's made specifically for marine use. It's waterproofed to IPX7 standards - that's as good as most chartplotters and fishfinders - it's shock resistant, has 10 hours of internal rechargeable battery power, and most surprisingly, it floats. Check it out at ECOXGEAR.
5. G Loomis GLX - Want to make that angler really happy? I mean, has he or she been such a good boy or girl that they deserve to be casting like a king? Then consider getting them a G Loomis GLX rod. Sure, these "poles" cost over $400. Yes, you'll still have to buy a reel for that rod, and anything worthy of being mounted on its grip will surely cost as much or more. But when it comes to insane sensitivity, high-quality components (likeFuji titanium SIC guides), and amazingly fast action, the G Loomis can't be beat. Warning: You'll have to be creative with the gift-wrap, or your special angler will know something great is in store as soon as they see the package under the tree.