Recently Kevin Curran, a self-described "sailor from San Diego," let us know about the list of funny boat names he's compiled on his site, All Things Boat. We created our own list a few years ago, with your help and contributions, but Kevin's is divided up into categories that make it easy to search by "theme." From family-friendly to what he calls "dirty names for dirty boaters," there's something for everyone.
It was hard to pick favorites, but here are a few that really stood out:
Clever Names for White-Collar Criminals
- Tax Sea-vation. This one took us a minute, but we got it eventually... unlike
- Crime Pays, which we got right away.
Funny Boat Names for Funny Boaters
- Row vs. Wade. This would be most appropriate for several not-so-seaworthy dinghies we've used over the years.
- Ich Bin Ein Bayliner. We're going to pass this one along to our German editor...
- Dock Holiday. Like most of the best boat names, this one has a grain of truth as well as several different meanings.
Funny Fishing Boat Names
- Flounder Pounder. No surprise that this one leads the list.
- De-bait-able. Lenny Rudow, I think I just found the name for your next boat...
Boat Name Ideas for the Recently Divorced
- Scandal, Alibi, and Rock Bottom: all of these are a good indication of the owner's state of mind. If you're looking for a more subtle way to communicate your marital situation, here's one that perhaps belongs on other lists as well:
- Berth Control
There are many more laughs on the Boat Names page of All Things Boat, including a few coffee-spitting ones we didn't think appropriate for our family-friendly site, so stop on by and read them all for yourself.
And remember, the name of your boat says a lot about the owner. If you're looking for a little help deciding what might be best, read Five Tips for Choosing Boat Names.