Terry Blevins is traveling the Intracoastal Waterway with her husband Charlie and dog, Bella, on their 34-foot tugboat, Rainshadow.

June 21, 2013

This was our last day in Manteo, and it has been a lazy day. The National Sailing Association departed, leaving some slips open. So the boat that was behind us, Splashdown, moved to a t-head. Shortly after they left, a boat that made the trip from Suffolk pulled in behind us.

intracoastal waterway

For our last night in Manteo, we watched the sunset with a full moon in the background.

As soon as they docked, almost everyone in the boat went running to the bridge to jump off. They said it was a tradition to dock at Manteo and jump off the bridge. According to the locals, the signs designating possible unsafe water are old and the water has been tested and is safe, but the regulators won’t let them take the signs down. At any rate, it appears everyone is surviving and having a blast.

We were visited by Chrissy from animal control, and she took a report, saying they would handle the situation. Apparently the dog that bothered us yesterday has been a problem in the past.

After that, we pedaled our bikes to the grocery store to stock up on a few provisions, and then Charlie tested the dingy motor and we took a short ride down the creek in it. Everything worked fine, but it is an immense amount of work to get the dingy on and off the davits. There has to be a better way, but we are not going to worry about that today.

I took some photos of the town because we enjoyed it so much. We had a flight of beer at the Full Moon Brewery which was a tiny spot, but very cozy and very good.

Intracoastal waterway

Poor Richard's was an excellent restaurant, but be cautious of territorial locals.

We also ate at Poor Richards restaurant, which is right on the dock. It serves breakfast and lunch at the dock entrance and dinner at the pub entrance off the street. We ate a delicious breakfast and dinner there. For dinner we shared a grilled chicken salad and hamburger. It was a good meal, and I would highly recommend it. Beware of sitting in the first table on the left for breakfast, however. There is a local who has staked claim to it. She became very agitated when another customer began to sit at that table the morning we ate breakfast there.

In the evening, we were met by our kids who drove down for the night. The youngest was joining us for the rest of the trip. We sat on top of Rainshadow watching the sunset with a full moon in the background. A ghost tour was being led along the boardwalk with the leader holding a swinging light. It was a splendid way to spend our last day on Roanoke Island.

Read more about Terry’s adventures on her blog, Rainshadow Voyages.