Our Boats.com Upgrade contest...worth $250 at West Marine for a lucky reader who takes three minutes to enter and is then chosen at random...is about to end. Since I'm ineligible, I went ahead and did my project, a repair to a crack in the top of our keel. But if epoxy and sandpaper is on your list, as it was on mine, you can still enter (up until noon, May 22, Pacific Daylight Time), tell us in a sentence or two what you're planning to do, and by Monday, you might have a $250 gift card to West Marine headed your way.
My project was pretty simple. It may not be the most artfully executed project, and some epoxy experts will no doubt be able to advise me on what we could've done better. But we had to get our sailboat launched for the first race of the season, and it was time to get cracking. Hopefully this quick review will inspire you to stop procrastinating, too.
I have to admit I was hesitant to start grinding away at the crack in the fiberglass...below the waterline...but it was pretty straightforward once I got going. The area above had been a hairline crack that gradually opened up enough to allow significant amounts of water into our boat. By the end of last season, the bilge was full every week when we went out to race.
I wasn't after perfection with this repair, but I did want to stop the water from getting into the boat and keep the area as smooth as possible for race performance.
I didn't expect to fill the void with one layer of epoxy but I closed it up about 60 to 70 percent with the addition of a small piece of fiberglass I had in one of the West System repair kits you can buy at West Marine. My plastic sheet came off easily after the G-Flex had hardened, and I had relatively little sanding to do before applying a second layer, although I ground away further at the end where the leak had shown up (above).
I thought a third layer would probably be necessary but my goal with the second layer was to fill the void area as completely as I could.
When we launched the boat, I could see water running into the bilge immediately...not the kind of thrill I was after. Fortunately, I soon saw that it was coming from the top of the rudder post and by tightening the nut on that, the flow stopped. This week, after some solid rains while Grace had been on her mooring in the salt waters of Newport Harbor (R.I.), I found a few inches of H2O in the boat. Just to be sure, I dipped my finger in and tasted the water -- it was fresh!