A welded-aluminum john boat may just be the perfect small-boat light tackle fishing platform. They are multi-faceted.
The reasons in favor:
1. The are lightweight and hard to break.
2. At slow speeds they bounce off rocks.
3. The engine and fuel tank are removable by hand.
4. Little kicker engines seem to require no maintenance.
5. If a kicker does fail, you can row home.
6. Should you choose to do so, a johnboat is easy to clean and maintain.
7. Should you choose not to do so, a johnboat seldom looks worse for the wear with dings and dirt.
8. They are easy to paint.
9. They are stable fishing platforms.
10. They float in inches of water and can be poled.
11. You can beach it.
12. Load it up with driftwood for a bonfire and it won’t get all scratched up.
13. Load it up with decoys in the fall.
14. You can trailer it with a mountain bike, practically.