Captaining a pontoon boat isn’t exactly complex in comparison to captaining a V-hull, but there are some distinct differences. That’s why we put together this short video, which outlines three simple but important things all pontooners need to know.
There are, of course many other aspects of seamanship that relate to both pontoons and V-hulls. If you’re new to boating, be sure to check out:
- Boating Tips: 3 Tips for Handling Heavy Seas
- Boating Tips: How to Anchor Your Boat
- 10 Tips for Boating With Babies and Toddlers
- Smoothing the Waters: Safe Boating Tips from the Sea Tow Foundation
- 7 Tips for Safer Boating
- How to Dock a Boat: Our 10 Top Tips
And then, of course, there’s always learning about what not to do… so be sure to take a look at these perennial favorites:
- Boating Tips: 3 Stupid Things You Should Never Do on a Boat
- Five Docking Disasters: Don’t Let This Happen to You!
- Seamanship Disasters: 3 Stupid Ways to Sink Your Boat
After you’ve had a chance to absorb all this info, we do hope you remember that boating is, statistically speaking, one of the safest outdoor experiences you can enjoy. And while it may take some time for new captains to become accustomed to handling the helm, a good supply of common sense is just about the most important tool you have at your disposal. Take things slowly, don’t press the envelope, and use your best judgment. We’d bet that if you do so, you’ll be a happy boater for many years to come.